Friday, December 10, 2010

Countdown to Christmas - 16 Days

Baby O is down with fever. She had a few mosquito (where did they all come from!?!?) bites since yesterday and the incidences of dengue and chikungunya in Penang worries us. This time round, Baby O is not as co-operative as before and refused to have her fever-reducing medication. She kept spitting them out. She was also extremely clingy and kept wanting to be 'pao-pao'ed (carried). Her temperature raised to above 90degrees at around 2am and we decided to bring her to the hospital to get a suppository since she won't have any of the paracetamol syrup.

I have my reservations when it came to Medical Officers, General Practitioners or locums in our country due to many past experiences with them. It is rare to find one that I can truly place my full trust in. Doesn't help when I am a healthcare professional myself. This experience to the hospital only increased my skepticism.

The Medical Officer in charged was a locum. He held a torch and had a look at Baby O's mosquito bites, asked if she had any cough or cold, and started prescribing paracetamol and an antibiotic. I asked if he thinks it was a bacterial infection and he nodded. As I was not too comfortable with the antibiotic, I requested if we could just have a suppository and review Baby O's condition in the morning with her paediatrician. He looked blankly at me as if I had just spoken in a foreign language. Thankfully, a regular nurse had been observing nearby and took over the situation. She helped administer the suppository confidently and gave relevant advice. Thank You, Lord for placing Your guardian angels everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails